Prev: Re: Multi-table scanarios Next: Re: What Figures are people using for SGII how are you painting

RE: [SG2] You'll never take me alive, coppers:Was RE: PA availab

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 18:24:32 -0500
Subject: RE: [SG2] You'll never take me alive, coppers:Was RE: PA availab

John spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> Ah, yes. Black beauties. Once under the influence of these we were
able to
> free climb up and down a sheer cliff face at night. Unfortunately when
> daylight (and sanity) returned we were unable to repeat the feat with
light
> and ropes.
> This proves they also scrambled your smarts and made you pretty
fearless.
> This why they may be good for short time use but may be expensive in
the
> amount of stupid things your otherwise well trained troops will do.
>
> John Shoemark

Wow. I saw a PBS special on fearless people (those who have a problem
or complex that prevents one experiencing fear). They get burned,
hurt, etc. because they don't have the healthy human reactions that
automatically avoid some things. One of these folk may know a pot is
hot intellectually but not realize it on a lower level and so may
grab the hot pot by accident while cooking whereas you or I might
well automatically avoid this. I wonder if what you're talking about
isn't the temporary equivalent of that. And it can let you do some
cool feats, but I'll bet in the long term it gets lots of guys dead
from avoidable stuff. Fine for your guys about to go into close
assault with the hideous Kra'Vak, but not so good for your deep recce
SOF guys. Anybody got some ideas for rules for these things? It would
have to have 'morale effects' in terms of when you test and how
severe the tests are, but it should have some detrimental effects
(overconfidence to the point of needless risk).

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: Multi-table scanarios Next: Re: What Figures are people using for SGII how are you painting