Prev: Imperium/Full Thrust Campaign game (long) Next: Re: still FMA-40k

Re: Planetary defenses

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 18:12:47 -0500
Subject: Re: Planetary defenses

Mikko spake thusly upon matters weighty:

In the interests of political correctness and brotherly
understanding, I have provided translations of your obviously
unfortunate and poorly informed word choices. No doubt a fault of
society's very fabric rather than any personal defficiency....

> a) You might be an alien attacker with motivation incomprehensible to
> humans

a) You might be a non-terrestrial sentient being with motivations
which appear difficult to understand unless due consideration for
your racial physiology, history, biology, sociology, and culture is
applied.

> b) You might be a religious/political fanatic with motivation
> incomprehensible to sane humans :-)

b) You might be a terran or non-terrestrial sentient of spiritual
inclination whose World View encompasses a very different set of
ethnic, cultural, mythological, and non-secular belief objects. This
non-scientific and possibly holistic approach may seem unfathomable
to technocratic secularists, but with due empathy and open minded
consideration they could surely come to appreciate the values of your
religious tradition (and if not, God knows what to do with them).

> c) The planet might not contain anything of value besides the enemy
> base(s)

Ergo nothing of value.

> d) The *threat* of total annihilation coupled with demonstrated
ability
> can cause a surrender. You do remember Hiroshima, don't you?

Sure. And do you think that if the Japanese too had had the bomb and
the ability to deliver it that the US would have Nuked Hiroshima and
Nagasaki? I doubt it. They wouldn't have wanted to open that door.
It's one thing if you're the only one who can do it....it's another
if it can be done back to you. But the lessons here still apply to
space combat and planetary bombardment.

> Standoff tactics are boring as hell to game. But they can work, and
> they're typically the safest option in terms of manpower. Thus, if
time is
> on your side, they're likely to be the first thing to try.

Ratiocination and Attritional Warfare by whatever means are usually
the tactics employed by those who don't have the raw manpower to push
through all opposition, but they are very effective and reasonably
conservative.

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Imperium/Full Thrust Campaign game (long) Next: Re: still FMA-40k