Prev: Re: *New DS2/SG2 website* Next: Re: Planetary defenses

Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

From: "Alex Shvarts, Andrew & Brian Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 21:24:15 +1200
Subject: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

Tim Jones <Tim.Jones@Smallworld.co.uk> wrote:
>As we have FaF missiles now, isn't it rather likely they
>will be available in the HS universe. Aren't David Drakes
>novels suffering from the 2001 / Space 1999 syndrome.
    Yes, one could assume that tech advances normally and let there be
fire
and forget missiles in the HS genre. But I would prefer to play the
genre
rather than try to anticipate the author. It's far easier to ban GMS and
develop rules for wireguided and laser designated missiles. See my
latest
rules on my site for more.

>However my take is that the Panzers firecontrol is good enough
>to effectively be a PDS and so can intercept the missile being
>FaF, beam-riding, wire guided, ballistic.
    While the Panzer's fire control is good enough to control the tank
barrel so that it can point accurately at targets up to 20Km (or line of
sight) away, in all cases, they seem to require satellite recon for aim
points for far away targets, missile launchers and aerial targets. The
satellites can't pick up missiles, only their bright launch flares. To
destroy a missile inflight, requires a radar or camera sensor. The HS
had
radar for counterbattery purposes, but it seemed to be on a large
vehicle,
perhaps a modified combat car or hover truck. So the panzer's powerguns
can't be treated as a PDS.
    Note that in one story, the Panzer's turreted powerguns were fired
at
high altitude cargo aeroplanes in coordination with central control.
This
would mean that powerguns can be used to attack aerospace craft that
weren't
using Nap of Earth (NOE) flight.

>Also, don't forget the frag charges as a PDS.
    Well, actually they're Anti-Personel Fragmentation Charges (APFCs)
as
described in the DSII rulebook. They defend against "buzz-bomb" attack
quite
well, once switched on. But it's quite clear they aren't expected to
work
versus fire and forget GMS.
    However, the concept of "Active Armour" is one that needs
development
for DSII. Reactive armour works by exploding as a missile hits,
disrupting
the formation of the shaped charge molten jet. This fails versus tandem
charge missile warheads. Active armour works a bit like APFC charges
versus
buzzbombs, in that the charge goes off before the GMS hits. The idea
being
that tandem charge missile warheads are destroyed simultaneously before
being activated.

>Also you can use a Calliope as an ADS if you expect mass GMS attacks.
    Provided it was equipped with radar to track the GMS, this becomes
much
like the standard GMS rules for ZAD/ADS, but with horizon limited range.

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/

Prev: Re: *New DS2/SG2 website* Next: Re: Planetary defenses