Prev: RE: Bugs: semi-OT real bug weapons and Los's ant war Next: Re: [SG2] You'll never take me alive, coppers:Was RE: PA availability

RE: RE:[MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

From: tlsmith@m... (Terrance L. Smith)
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 18:37:41 -0600
Subject: RE: RE:[MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

I'm coming out of lurker mode for a moment here because 1) I was also
puzzled by the below statement on relative complexity, and 2) I think
there
is an important factor being overlooked.

FT is
>simple and SG isn't then we'll have to leave it at that. I read thru
the SG
>Rules twice during a week and weekend and then started playing. I did
the
>same thing with FT.

The point I think that has been overlooked regarding how easy or hard a
system is to learn is: my interest. I have owned all three GZG games for
couple of years. I play SGII lots, have played FT once (at a con), and
DSII
once (at a con). FT appears to be a simpler mechanic than SGII, but I
found
SGII easier to learn and get started in than FT because I am more
interested in land warefare than space, naval, or air battle. As a
result,
I have 3 painted platoons of SGII figs (including sci-fi lizards) with
about 4 more platoons waiting for paint, and nothing painted for FT
(although I have bought some ships).

I have seen this same pattern in myself and others through the years. I
am
willing to play anything: historical, fantasy, sci-fi, RPG, computer,
(no
cards please <g>); including naval, land, space, and air battle.
However, I
am only willing to invest money and time in an army for periods and
modes
of battle that really interest me. The result is that all of my armies
(historical and sci-fi) are er... armies (i.e.,land based).

I think the bottom line of all this is the reasons we choose to game in
certain periods with certain rules are far more complex than anyone who
has
contributed to this thread has acknowledged.

Sorry, I couldn't stay quiet any longer. No offense intended to anyone,
and
I'll go back to lurking now.  :)

Terrance L. Smith, Ph.D.
tlsmith@micron.net