Prev: Re: FMA-40k Next: Re: What Figures are people using for SGII how are you painting them?

FreeDS1 was: RE: RE:[MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

From: tom.anderson@a...
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 12:00:55 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: FreeDS1 was: RE: RE:[MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

 ---- tim jones wrote:
> You need a copy of DSI then
> Now its LONG out of print of course. It would be *nice* if perhaps
> GZG do what a lot of SW companies do which is to give away an
> old version of a program on a magazine in the hope that you
> will buy the new version.

not a bad idea; gzg currently makes no money at all from DS1, right? the
rules are different enough to DS2 that it would not draw people away
from that (although it might discourage them, seeing the pretty jurassic
state of the DS1 rules). thus, there is no business reason to keep it
commercial. in fact, it isn't commercial, as you can't buy it new.

to liberate DS1 onto the web would be a good idea (i have called it
FreeDS1, after the FreeBSD unix flavour; daft hacker in-joke, ignore it
if you like). it is an interesting, if somewhat unevolved, rules system,
and is of considerable historical interest.

i would guess the same would apply to SG1, which is pre-FMA and very
different to SG2. it would not necessarily apply to FT1, which is
essentialy the same. in fact, we all still play FT1; we play FT1 `second
edition' (FT1.1), or FT1 'fleet book update' (FT1.2).

incidentally, what does FMA stand for? i've been reading all these
arguments involving this term, and i've been largely mystified. a
precise definition would also help.

Tom

Prev: Re: FMA-40k Next: Re: What Figures are people using for SGII how are you painting them?