Prev: RE: GZG FH: Blue water navy. Next: GZG Chat Tonight.

RE: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

From: Noah Doyle <nvdoyle@m...>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 22:18:49 -0500
Subject: RE: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

Lon writes:

This, in theory at least, sounds good. It would need a lot of very
careful
thought and planning to put into practice, because it wouldl have to be
generic enough to be useful with most forces that players will have
available, heowever that isn't to say it couldn't be done. The main
thing
that I've gathered from the recent discussion is not that we need a
points
systems for its own sake, but that what is needed is a way of at least
roughly balancing ad-hoc games; how many people would be happy with
achieving this in a non-points-based way, such as suggested here?

Jon (GZG)

	Well, I have never used a points system in any GZG game I've
played, and
I've played a few.  That reflects more on the players, than the system,
though.  I've always played with the 'Bring what's painted, and we'll
whip
something up' plan.  But again, the players are all big military history
&
military-SF fans, so coming up with ideas is not hard.
	Any point system needs to make the decision between being a
'historical'
system, in which items are costed by availability, not performance, and
'generic' system, in which performance is the only factor.  Both would
be
the better way to go, but probably the most time consuming.  They would
not
be compatible - Historical for 'official' battles, generic for 'bring
all
your 25mm' battles.  It wouldn't stop me from buying the game, but I
would
rather see the time & effort used to produce more Orders of Battle for
the
'Official GZG Universe', and minis (of course!).  A 'points' system
based
on a variable OB would be a great add-on - I think it would help the
newer
players a lot.	And a random scenario generator (Player A v. Player B
dispositions, support available, etc.).  It could end up being very
random,
but eventually it would be used to spark ideas, as opposed to roll dice.

Noah

Prev: RE: GZG FH: Blue water navy. Next: GZG Chat Tonight.