Prev: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle Next: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

[MISC] Point Systems

From: "Tom Sullivan" <starkfist@h...>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 06:55:26 PDT
Subject: [MISC] Point Systems

     Wanna watch me take my life into my own hands?  Anyone?  Okay, here

goes....

     Stargrunt II needs a point system.

     Why, you ask?  Or scream, as the case may be?  Because people THINK

that it does.  Does that make any sense at all?  Probably not, so let me

explain.

     Historical gaming has a context, generally.  If you want to play
Fire and Fury, there is a wealth of historical data available to you
about how the Union and Connfederate forces matched up.  Same with the
Napoleonic era, or with WWII.  The better known fictional battles have
pretty much the same information available: How well do Earth Alliance
ships perform against the Mimbari?  Thus, in all these cases, players
have at least some idea of the relative faults and merits of any given
force.

     That's all well and good, but what about SF games?  The ones
without a pre-established fictional background?  Tell me, anyone, pound
for pound, whose troops are better?  The NSL, or the NAC?  I don't know.

Do you?  There is no context upon which to judge them.

     Because of this, the general consensus is that SF games need a
point system.  I will not argue the rightness or wrongness of this
position: it is irrelevant, in any case.  What matters in this case is
what people THINK is true.  I wish that this was not the case, but there

you are.

     You can say, of course, that this does not matter.  Real battles
don't work that way; no one really knows the worth of his foe until he
meets him upon the battlefield, right?	Right.	However, this IS a game
that we are speaking about.  And games are...different than reality.

     A lot of people on this list are guilty of thinking that there is
really only one way to game--purely and simply for the pleasure of
playing.  Hell, that's how *I* game!  And how most of the people on the
list game, as well.  What we have to remember, though, is that is not
how a lot of gamers, especially young gamers, play because they want to
WIN.  Immature?  Perhaps.  But competitve gaming is as valid as any
other way of playing.

     And, more importantly, to a lot of people the ONLY reason to play a

game is in order to win.  After all, to the man (or kid) on the street
that's what playing a game is all about, isn't it?  Because SGII makes
determinations of "fairness" difficult, at best, without extensive
experience with the game, many people instinctively shy away from it.
How many people on this list have wncountered people who refused to try
SGII simply because it has no points system?  I've met more than a few,
myself.

     What would the addition of a point system do to SGII?  Well, for
one thing, it would broaden the player base.  This, simply, is a Good
Thing.	Firstly, it would put more money in Mr. Tuffley
pockets--something that we are all, I think, in favor of.  Secondly, it
would give us all a lot more potential opponents.  Sure, we might have
to civilize them a bit, but it would be a start, wouldn't it?

     DSII and Full Thrust poth have point systems (or did--I have not
seen the Fleetbook yet, alas....), and I have heard no one complaining
aboutn them.  Hell, I remember a LOT of people complaining about how
unbalanced the Kra'vak are, points wise.  Can everyone here honestly say

that they don't use those point systems at all?  I know that even John
Atkinson, our resident curmudgeon, uses the DSII point system...and if
HE does, well!	ANYone would.

     All in all, I think that the addition of a point system to SGII is
a win-win proposition.	You like being outnumbered?  Give your opponent
twice or threee times as many points as yourself!  Or experenced players

can simply disregard the point values!	For us, it really doesn't
matter...certainly nothing will be harmed by it.  For the newbies,
though, it can make all the difference in the world.  And if it causes
even one new player to pick up the game and give it a shot, it has
proved its worth right there.

Tom Sullivan
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for you are crunchy, and good
with ketchup."

Prev: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle Next: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle