Prev: RE:[MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle Next: RE: RE:[MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

RE: RE:[MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:58:39 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: RE: RE:[MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Glover, Owen wrote:

> Please forgive me if I sound a little slow here; but one of the
arguments
> used is in reference to a person only playing a game every 3 months or
so.
> In this case, it will be very hard for a person to develop a
familiarity
> wiht ANY set of rules to the point that he will not require constant
> references to a rulebook each Quarterly game he plays. This is not a
problem
> restricted to Stargrunt/Dirtside or Fullthrust but virtually any
game-set.

I don't agree. FT is simple enough. SGII isn't. I can learn a simple,
elegant system well enough in one go.

> Under these circumstances I dare say Bring'n'Battle is certainly not
an
> appropriate way to game!?

Au contraire. It's almost the only way to play. I can say: "We're
playing
FT in two weeks. Make sure you have a 2000 point fleet ready." and
presto!
half my preparation workload is delegated elsewhere.

The only other way, without a referee/scenario designer, is to use
pre-packaged scenarios -- and SG doesn't score very high in that
department either.

> I'm sorry but I can't see how someone can expect to learn a set of
rules
> only playing 4 times a year especially if every game they play is
against a
> different unknown person.

I don't actually play against strangers, but the ability to do so is
what
I expect from a gaming system. I don't have the time to devise, write,
analyze and playtest house rules -- so the game has to playable as
written.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: RE:[MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle Next: RE: RE:[MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle