Prev: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle Next: Re: SV: [SG2] You'll never take me alive,... [OT]

RE: RE:[MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 17:02:16 +1000
Subject: RE: RE:[MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

-----Original Message-----
From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio [mailto:maxxon@swob.dna.fi]

>Exactly! Learning to win is not an important consideration for me.
>Learning to play without constantly consulting the rulebook is.

Please forgive me if I sound a little slow here; but one of the
arguments
used is in reference to a person only playing a game every 3 months or
so.
In this case, it will be very hard for a person to develop a familiarity
wiht ANY set of rules to the point that he will not require constant
references to a rulebook each Quarterly game he plays. This is not a
problem
restricted to Stargrunt/Dirtside or Fullthrust but virtually any
game-set.

Under these circumstances I dare say Bring'n'Battle is certainly not an
appropriate way to game!?

I'm sorry but I can't see how someone can expect to learn a set of rules
only playing 4 times a year especially if every game they play is
against a
different unknown person.

Years ago whilst a young single soldier I was posted to a remote
locality in
North Queensland (like Alsaka but hot!?) and I only got to play during
time
home on leave. Due to scarcity of gamers I ended up having to spend most
of
the year painting figures and reading the rules then when I got home on
leave I'd pester everyone of my mates for a dozen or more games over a 4
week period!! I usually got my but kicked in the first few games but
improved to a respectable level after that.

Regardless of points/scenarios or friendly guidance players will need
repetition and re-inforcement to become comfortable with ANY games. I
just
happen to think that it is easier to acheive this with SG and FT than a
lot
of other games sets.

Cheers,

Owen

Prev: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle Next: Re: SV: [SG2] You'll never take me alive,... [OT]