Prev: Re: Gun laws etc / Was Re: SV: [SG2] You'll never take me alive, coppers: Next: Re: SHIP PICS

Re: FW: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

From: tom.anderson@a...
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 11:44:19 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: FW: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

 ---- kurt wrote:
> Los raises an interesting point.  The most fun I have had in Space
Gaming
> (mini/board) is when I have had crippled ships.  Dealing with ship
damage is
> more fun than stomping the snot out of your opponent.  When I played
> S/T/A/R/F/L/E/E/T Battles (dare I admit to it?), juggling my decimated
power
> reserves and shields that were down to little more than static was
much more
> fun than being able to yawn out an Alpha Strike each turn.

more generally, it is certainly true that it is more fun
 to play a game with unbalanced forces rather than the
 two-equal-armies-bash-each-other-to-death game. points
 values are useful in that it allows you (that's a
 passive you :-) to gauge just how unequal thay are; if
 i know that i have 2000 points and my opponent has 6000
 points, i can make my objectives easier (eg, escape
 with minor losses or cross the board with 50% of cargo
 intact).

battles IRL are rarely between equal forces. wars often
 are, but rarely battles. a skilled general will ensure
 that his colonels always have the advantage when they
 fight battles. well, he will try.

Tom