Next: RE: PA availability, was: [semi OT] Women wargamers

Re: [FT universe]

From: tom.anderson@a...
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 13:21:24 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [FT universe]

 ---- Big Niall (old joke, sorry :-)) wrote:
> One thing I wonder about the role of the ESU in the FT universe is how
> "Communist" are they in comparison to the now defunct USSR?  If we
take
> China as an example today while it is a nominally communist country it
has
> enormous levels of trade with the rest of the world and on the ground
its
> far more like unrestricted capitalism these days than communism.

modern china is only nominally communist. it is really
just a vanilla totalitarian dictatorship.

> Entreprenuership is encouraged or at least tolerate so I believe.  So
in
> the next 200 years wouldn't most communist countries have evolved more
> towards free trade rather than central planning?

conversely, is there the possibility that, in a state
where the planets are seperated by week-long hyperspace
paths, and there is a huge disparity between the
populous/industrialised planets and the
sparse/agricultural planets, that free-market countries
like the NAC have introduced more central planning?

> I'm intrigued as to how the ESU would differ from the NAC if we
eliminate
> old communist economic  policies from the equation.

i bet they're both essentially the same. one is a
dictatorship of the supreme soviet in the name of the
people, the other is a dictatorship of the
eton-oxbridge-aristocracy-dominated civil service
("yes, admiral ...") under the cover of a powerless
parliament.

> Do the secret police
> hold sway? Freedoms are more restricted?  The NAC being a more class
> oriented soceity has it devolved back to the old ideal of an
aristocracy
> and their cronies running things?

*back* to the old ideal? the way the rulers of the UK
and the USA are 75% from established
wealthy/educated/powerful families. :-)

Tom

Next: RE: PA availability, was: [semi OT] Women wargamers