Prev: Locating deep space supply caches Next: accuracy(?) in astrography (was: RE: [FT universe] was [URL] ...)

StarForce and other SPI stuff

From: "Atcliffe, Phillip" <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 10:12:16 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: StarForce and other SPI stuff

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998 19:25:31 -0400 Nyrath the nearly wise
<nyrath@clark.net> wrote:

> Jon Davis wrote:
>> One of the nice things about this game series was the 3D
starmap for the StarForce game.  The map covers a sphere
about 25 L.Y. in radius centered at Sol and has the +-
location of the stars in LY. <<

> and it was reasonably accurate, with only a couple of
mistakes. One could do worse than to use it for an accurate
map. <

The "radius" of the "sphere" was 20 ly, and Redmond
Simonsen (the designer, and SPI's Art Director) said that
they made every effort to get it accurate, with only a
couple of stars having to be shifted slightly to get them
into a hex or level (what the game called a LiteZulu, a
volume one hex across by one level vertically, both
dimensions being one light-year). I don't know which stars
got moved -- anyone who does?

The plane of the map (level 0) was the ecliptic, which may
or may nor have been an odd choice.

SPI went through a period of doing hard or semi-hard SF,
and came up with some very useful maps, etc., that could
easily be used with other games. A good counterpart for the
StarForce map was the inner Solar System map from
BattleFleet Mars, which depicted the ecliptic out as far as
Jupiter, with positions for each planet and some of the
larger asteroids marked at monthly intervals (the strategic
turn was one month long). Of course, they had to tweak
some of the planets' orbits because they don't all go
around the Sun in nice, neat multiples of our month, but it
worked well enough and meant that players had to deal with
the problem of getting from A to B when both A and B are
moving at different speeds and may well be on the opposite
side of the Sun, either before, during or after the trip!

One of the most (in)famous SPI maps was for Outreach, the
galaxy-exploring development of StarForce. It showed
part of the local galactic arm, and was a lovely example of
the printer's art; some people are said to have bought the
game just so that they could hang the map on the wall and
gaze at it while under the influence of recreational
chemicals....

The game itself was less satisfying -- not bad, but rather
slow and prone to drag on for a _very_ long time (a problem
that some SPI stuff tended to have; BattleFleet Mars was
the same). The situation wasn't helped by the solitaire
scenario, which was intended to help players learn the
game, being impossible to win! Or, at least, I could never
figure out how to get around a basic movement problem. If
anyone ever did manage to complete that game, I'd like to
know what I missed.

Phil
"We gotta get out into Space,
 If it's the last thing we ever do!"
   -- Return to the Forbidden Planet
A sentiment echoed by Phil Atcliffe
	      (Phillip.Atcliffe@uwe.ac.uk)

Prev: Locating deep space supply caches Next: accuracy(?) in astrography (was: RE: [FT universe] was [URL] ...)