Prev: Re: [semi OT] Campaign backgrounds was RE: [semi OT] Women wargam ers Next: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers

Re: [FT universe] was [URL] ...

From: Aaron Teske <ateske@H...>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 23:20:05 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT universe] was [URL] ...

At 09:13 AM 9/17/98 -0700, you wrote:
>   This discussion about making small FTL jumps to allow a ship to get
>closer to a specific location.  The assumption naturally is that
shorter
>jump are more accurate.  That brings up the question, what is the
smallest
>FTL jump possible, and the longest possible?
[snicker-snack]
>    That gives us the shortest jump distance of a light second or
>186,000 miles.  This should pose no problem for the signals used to
>locate a cache of supplies.  Currently we can receive very low power
>signals from the likes of Marriner and Voyager at longer distances
>that that.

Okay... but how much fuel does it take?  If it's scaled to the jump,
fine,
you can do that a bunch, though I'd still say there's likely to be a
reasonably hefty inital fuel cost.  In fact, just to be perverse (and
'cuz
I like the idea) maybe it costs *more* fuel to go slower in FTL?  In
which
case making short hops to try and locate your reserve fuel dump could
run
you out of fuel before you get there....

Okay, so this is very much universe-specific (I don't *think* Jon
specified
anything like that) but it's certainly what I'd go with. ^_-

Just semi-random musings,
					Aaron Teske
					ateske@HICom.net

Prev: Re: [semi OT] Campaign backgrounds was RE: [semi OT] Women wargam ers Next: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers