Prev: [SG2] [FT Universe] Questions Next: [GZG OFFICIAL] Re: UPCOMING EVENTS 9/16/98

Re: [FT universe]

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 12:56:13 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: [FT universe]

You wrote:

>Former Christian groups from the IF and ESU (notoriously unpopular
>with ESU Communist leadership and IF extremist Muslims)

Heh. . . I've got a lot of these covered in my NRE and associated
territories.  New Tiblisi got a lot of the Georgians.  Armenians are a
major ethnic component in the Empire, and brigades of Christian Arabs
are part of the Tagmatic central army.

>5x10^10th religious groups (everything from cults, covens, and
>oddball sects to the catholic church - all of whom may underwrite
>colonies - imagine papal colonies backed by a no-birth control policy
>and a bunch of catholic money...)

I can't imagine birth control on any colony world.  You need to have
kids.  Lots of 'em.

5x10^10th ethnic groups that don't want to be near other ethnic groups.
 I've got a planet settled by Serbs, with Croatians also moving in to
try take it away from them.  It's a nasty planet with low-technology
and completely fragmented.  Some princelings can barely raise a
reinforced batallion.  NRE "peacekeepers" defend enclaves, including
all the spaceports worthy of the name.
 /va/basileus/serbs.html

>Here's a thought: Remember what britain did with Australia? Can we
>say spaceborn penal colony for civilized gov'ts too kind to just pop
>off annoying dissidents and malcontents. Gulags in space....

My Free Ukranians.  :)

John M. Atkinson

Prev: [SG2] [FT Universe] Questions Next: [GZG OFFICIAL] Re: UPCOMING EVENTS 9/16/98