Prev: RE: [semi OT]PA & various B.S..was Women wargamers Next: RE: [semi OT] Women wargamers

Star Soldier

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 18:16:02 -0400
Subject: Star Soldier

I've alluded to this board game a few times as a an alternative to power
armor. I went and dug it out. This is based on the SPI Starforce
Trilogy.
This takes place 500 years from now. Where enhanced telesthetic ability
allow starships to "shift" across known space. Combat is also done by
projecting this telesthetic power between space forces. Once control of
local space is secured, the starforce puts the planet's population to
"sleep" using a special "Heissen field." (Jeez I hope I'm not driving
down
the highway when that happens.) Of course specially shielded
Starsoldiers,
in their Active Battle Dress, remain unaffected. That's when "the boys"
go
in. After a short fight, between 12-24 hours, one side or the other
usually
packs it in. These are not battles of annihilation. EXcept when they
fight
the Xenophobes, a virulent race that show sup intent of destroying all
life. This forces the various races to ramp up for a total war which is
normally against their beliefs.

Now, with that background, on to our typical Starsoldier. The game scale
is
large, one hex equals one kilometer. Thus displaying the trend to put
less
soldiers  per given area of terrain (I know verhoeven threw this out the
window with SST the movie, grrr.)The soldiers themselves are part cyborg
based on the the patented "Tom Anderson"  model. They can deal with an
immense amount of information and tasks at all times . This allows then
function without the panic and disorientation that occurs in modern
combat.

They wear what is called Active Battle Dress, which is more than a
convenient combat suit.  It is a complete mobile environment, equipped
wit
its own limited level of conscious awareness. They have a virtually
unlimited source of power through their energy conversion pack. The suit
can be used in ground or airborne mode. frictionless (gravatic?) flight
of
some sort have been developed and the suit can attain airborne speeds of
up
to 2500kph. Their energy conversion pack allows the to transfer energy
from
one form to another.

The suit has advanced deception mode, ECM and ECCM, though it's not
really
armored. It can screen its own energy emmisions so as to make it
virtually
invisible to the nukes eye.. It can survive enormous G forces as well as
both use and survive the use of terribly sophisticated weaponry. For
weapons, the primary weapon a star soldier could carry converts power to
high energy pulse or beam projector. Their are Heavy Weapons soldiers
with
a more powerful form of the weapon. Launched weapons include a "guided
positron bomb". It can damage through blast or EMP Scrambling shielded
Star
Soldier ABDs. It'll take out a kilometer square area. There are also
free
flight missiles also. There are also "Opacity Grenades" which act as a
visual and electronic smoke grenade. There are also homing missiles.

Some of the other races have special abilities. There are the RAME which
form Killer Swarms. Best way to describe it is Weber's datalink Then the
pesky Xenophobes employ good old fashion nukes.

So it's a tad different than power armor but there you go.

Los

Prev: RE: [semi OT]PA & various B.S..was Women wargamers Next: RE: [semi OT] Women wargamers