Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

Re: PA availability, was: [semi OT] Women wargamers

From: tom.anderson@a...
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 14:17:45 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: PA availability, was: [semi OT] Women wargamers

charles gray (?) wrote:
>	In addition, remember the problems you are going to have with
repairing
> and sustaining the suits.  Today, one of the arguements against
> autoloaders in tanks is that three men cannot maintain an MBT in the
> field.

absolutely. modern tank-gun autoloaders are not reliable
enough. in twenty years, they will be. i'll put money on
it. PA suits will advance to the point where fixing
cracks and dings in the armour consists of slathering on
some putty (made of self-organising carbin naofibre
subunits in a boron nitrate paste, or summat) and having
at it with a blowtorch (boron nitrate + heat -> boron
nitride, one of the hardest known materials; bargain!),
and the 'muscles' are a self-healing smart plastic.
again, we will be able to see several ages of PA. just
as once tanks were a highly limited shock weapon, and
have now become general purpose, widely used war
machines, so will PA. there will be proto-PA used in
tunnel assaults only, then early-PA used in shock units,
then late-PA used by all foot troops.

>	I see powered armor, at least for the very long haul as being a
"shock"
> force, that is designed for very high tempo, short term operations.

you might make the case that the majority of operations
in the future will be such operations.

>  In
> fact, you could make a case for police getting PA before soldiers
would
> since a SWAT team is never far from support, and seldom is in action
for
> more then a few hours at a time.

absolutely - proto-PA could well be a system in law
enforcement, exploration, ship-ship boarding actions,
etc.

Tom

Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.