Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: Re: GZG List? FT Asteroids, anyone?

Re: [FT universe]

From: Niall Gilsenan <ngilsena@i...>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:42:06 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT universe]

	Lastly, as to running out of space and resources. We're running
pretty
>short of a few essentials already. For instance, xenophobic arguments
>aside,  Australian immigration should be slowed or even halted. Not
because
>of any social or racial issues, but because the population has outgrown
(or
>is just about to outgrow) the environment's longterm ability to provide
it
>with water.

Beth!  Where would all the Irish twenty-somethings go for a years
working
holiday?  Anyway as long as you have beer why would you need water...

>	Mind you there is also one other very good reason to get off the
planet
>(and I am being a tad silly here) - its the fact that Sol won't last
>forever :)

By that time there might not be many other places left for us to go
either.
  I remember reading some of a book investigating interstellar
colonisiation.	One of the main reasons postulated as to why we should
colonise other stars was that it was a way to ensure racial survival.
One
planetary disaster would not be the end of the race.

Until we all see some sort of international consensus on space travel
we're
very unlikely to see any progress on this.  I very much doubt the
American
taxpayer wants to fund this, the Russians can't (since very few people
pay
their taxes over there), and the European space agency seems to be
content
with launching satellites.  Maybe we should look to the Chinese.

>Have fun,
>
>Beth (and Derek)

Niall Gilsenan,
DIT Cathal Brugha St,
Dublin 1,
Ireland.

ngilsena@indigo.ie
The miscellany (Sci-Fi combat games)
http://members.tripod.com/~Cwintel/Scifi.html

Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: Re: GZG List? FT Asteroids, anyone?