Prev: PA availability, was: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: [semi OT]PA & various B.S..was Women wargamers

Re: [FT universe] was [URL] New Star and Campaign Maps

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 09:01:36 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT universe] was [URL] New Star and Campaign Maps

>right, well now we get to question man's reasons for colonising outer
space, and we run up against a >classic problem: basically, there aren't
any.

G'day Tom,
	I'd beg to differ here. I can think of a reason, it isn't
particularly
logical but that's never stopped humanity before.
What drove man to explore at all? Barring religious arguments, why did
man
ever colonise all of this earth? Basically, why does the little bear
climb
the hill? Just to see what's there (usually).
	I wouldn't say that the earliest explorers in the Americas or
Australia
were being pushed out because they'd used up all their resources or
because
they were over populated. Ok some of them, may be a lot of them, had at
least some desire for mineral wealth or land or wanted to increase the
stature of their ruler's empire (etc), but I wouldn't say that was the
only
reason they went.
	To put this into a more space oriented context. Man is planning
missions
to Mars so why not beyond?
	Beyond this rather philosophical "desire to explore just because
its a
part of our nature" argument (which I'm sure is going to upset somebody
out
there), I also think its in keeping with any of the backgrounds used
(not
just the GZG one) that even the more selfish reasons that motivated past
explorers will motivate the future ones too. I can't see why there
wouldn't
be as much of a race to carve up space as there was to carve up Earth
for
the individual empires/power blocks of the present/past. In the
background
for a minor power I'm conjuring up, the IAS (Independent Antarctic
States)
often play an exploratory role charting out stuff for others or that
they
know others will eventually take off them (they're primarily the
scientific
and engineering equivalent of mercenaries which run the deep space and
exploration/science ships for others). Though they do have a military
wing,
initally created in response to being taken advantage of once to often
and
now primarily used by the UNSC. However, I haven't made them totally
altruistic they'll fight like everybody else to have their share for the
greater glory of their nation. Now imagine how much exploration is going
go on, for the major powers especially, simply under the guise of making
their power's prestige greater than yours. (I can't believe all my grand
philosophical arguments have degenerated into "mine's bigger than
yours",
but then again maybe that is the motivating factor of mankind).

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax (03) 6232 5199 International +61 3 6232 5199

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: PA availability, was: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: [semi OT]PA & various B.S..was Women wargamers