Prev: Re: FTFB-Q about thrust 1 ships Next: Re: FTFB- After Action Report/Newbie questions (longish :-) )

Re: FTFB- After Action Report/Newbie questions (longish :-) )

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 16:19:51 -0500
Subject: Re: FTFB- After Action Report/Newbie questions (longish :-) )

Jef spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> On a more general question, Why would you build ships faster than
Thrust
> 2? The extra 10% hull space dropping from Thrust 4 can be a lot of
> weapon systems, and with the ability to swing ship direction under a
> vector movement system even a Thrust 1 ship can almost always face
> towards an enemy.

Sure, you may be able to face me, and if you are a big enough ship,
hold me outside of weapons range fearing your batteries, missiles,
etc. But if we're playing a scenario where you have to stop me doing
something, my better thrust may let me pull you out of position and
take advantage of that. Otherwise, I just run rings about you and
settle for a stalemate since you can't catch me if I don't want you
to.

There are good reasons why some decently offensive bits of your fleet
should be fast moving. It opens up a whole range of capability. Now,
OTOH, clustering ships for overlapping fire is quite devastating and
usually good defensively too. But if you don't have the speed, and
your opponent does, he'll either decide he's outnumbered, take his
toys and go home, or he'll run around you and make you look foolish
by attacking the objective or whatever.

> We incline towards a strategic reason for higher thrust ratings;
perhaps
> thrusters are used in FTL travel, the FTL drive giving the ability to
> enter FTL mode, but thrusters determining how fast one travels.  We
are
> looking at this as there seems to be no tactical reason to be faster
> than Thrust 2.  I know you can refuse to fight superior forces if
> faster, but Thrust 2 seems find for an aggressor attacking somewhere.

This presumes of course you know in advance exactly where he'll be
attacking. And what if he engages with part of his force and draws
you off in pursuit, then moves in the other part of his force. If you
can't get back fast enough, bad news. Further, lets say you were
divided into two fleets and he was too. His two fleets separate, and
you pursue to get equal odds battles. He lets you get just far enough
apart, then zooms one set in to join the other for a battle where he
has superiority for a period of time (long enough to do you some big
damage) before your clunkers can catch up.

> Have a Thrust 8 ship to check out the local defences, call in the big
> boys, and "Bobs yer uncle."

Thrust is a tool of people who use manoevre agressively. It favours
fast attack ship tactics (PT boat, destoryer, etc tactics). Now, mind
you, such ships had better run from the thrust 2 weapons platforms
unless they have numerical advantage to compensate, but they have a
real tactical niche. Imagine you need to respond quickly to an outer
system planet being attacked (a small outpost) by a fleet. If
you aren't fast yourself, you'll never get there in time. If you
aren't fast enough, and do get most of the way there, and he sweeps
around you to hit the main planet from an unexpected direction, you
can't get back.

Lumbering behemoths have their place, but so too do faster vessels
with a tad lighter armour or weapons. A good fleet has a good mix,
and a good admiral knows how to use that mix effectively. Good
scenario design takes this into account - trying to force a fast
light fleet to slug it out with a line-of-battle fleet made of speed
2 tanks is basically putting it at a disadvantage from the start.
Proper thought in how the scenario would come about will influence
what is played, and if the scenario is fixed, should influence the
fleet elements chosen to execute the mission.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: FTFB-Q about thrust 1 ships Next: Re: FTFB- After Action Report/Newbie questions (longish :-) )