Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Re: Re; [OT] Women wargamers -longish

Re: GZG List? FT Asteroids, anyone?

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 07:45:42 -0700
Subject: Re: GZG List? FT Asteroids, anyone?

>the table.  I was thinking of having ships and asteroids "bounce" off
of
>the edge of the table but I'm not sure of how to handle the vectors
>without slowing game play down.

Have the asteroids work just like the ones in the real game: they simply
wrap around to the other edge of the table and maintain  the same
vector.
This makes things relatively simple.

The big questions are how many damage points to break asteroids to
smaller
sizes, how many points each break is worth, and the speed of a given
size
"chunk." Unfortunately, I suspect that some of these may only be
determined
through some creative playtesting, rather than intellectual exercise.

We could work with the following just for starters: 3 points of damage
reduce a large asteroid to 3 mediums; 2 points of damage to reduce a
medium
asteroid to three smalls; one point of damage to destroy a small
asteroid
(yeah, I know this doesn't quite mirror the "one shot, one kill" feel of
the arcade game).

Make the various sized bits worth 1, 2, and 4 points for large, medium,
and
small asteroids respectively. That way players will want to make more of
those high speed little guys, which make things so damgerous, so they
can
get more points.

As for speeds, consider most people have about a 1.5 m square playing
area
(at 1 inch per MU). Consider each size according to the amount of time
you'd like it to take to cross the playing area. If you want that to be
8,
4, and 2 turns (I picked these out of a hat) for the respective sizes,
then
your speeds would be 6-8 inches for large asteroids, 12-16 for mediums,
and
24-32 for smalls. Those little guys would really wiz around the table,
making things difficult for all involved.

Schoon

Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Re: Re; [OT] Women wargamers -longish