Prev: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2. Next: Re: How to handle Resin

Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 12:44:50 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, John Atkinson wrote:

> The secret is, IMHO (gross generalization warning ahead), that women
> aren't hampered by 3,000 years of tradition.	They generally don't sit

> down a read for fun about battles that happened hundreds of years ago,

> and they don't generally have a deep grounding in the tactics that
have
> proven themselves over the past umpteen centuries.  So they don't come

> at it with any preconcieved notions.	Like if someone fights me, they
> know exactally what I'm going to do because I stick to simple plans
> based on conventional wisdom.  Nothing fancy, nothing covoluted.  I'm
> Hammer general--draw the biggest hammer you can find from the stores,
> and whack away until it breaks.  Women come at each game fresh, read
> the rules, and figure out what works _by_those_rules_.

I fully agree. I just find it funny that when a guy does exactly that -
finds out what works by the rules and bases tactics on it - accusations
of
rules lawyering, cheese etc. are never far away.

Do we cut the gals more slack? Is it just because they are women, or
because we assume they wouldn't have known that a particular tactic is
not
realistic but a loophole in the rules?

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2. Next: Re: How to handle Resin