Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: SF Fiction posted

Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 23:01:27 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

You wrote:

>YES, that is one thing that I too have learned with gaming with women,
they >have a very different take on strategy and tactics that is odd,
yet often >very effective.  My wife doesn't play anything like I do, to

>I have had to eat my words sometimes after I tell her that I thnk she
>shouldn't do something because I think it is. . . er, tactically
unsound (I >try to be diplomatic about telling my wife I think her plan

>To be honest, my wife is the most difficult opponent I have to play,
as she >has insights into my thought processes that no ones else does,

The secret is, IMHO (gross generalization warning ahead), that women
aren't hampered by 3,000 years of tradition.  They generally don't sit
down a read for fun about battles that happened hundreds of years ago,
and they don't generally have a deep grounding in the tactics that have
proven themselves over the past umpteen centuries.  So they don't come
at it with any preconcieved notions.  Like if someone fights me, they
know exactally what I'm going to do because I stick to simple plans
based on conventional wisdom.  Nothing fancy, nothing covoluted.  I'm a
Hammer general--draw the biggest hammer you can find from the stores,
and whack away until it breaks.  Women come at each game fresh, read
the rules, and figure out what works _by_those_rules_.	They also
aren't afraid of complexity, and they are generally better at reading
body language and non-verbal communication to gain insights into their
opponent's thought processes.  Most guys can't read body language past
the gross-and-obvious-come-on stage.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: SF Fiction posted