Prev: How to handle Resin Next: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 22:52:59 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers

You wrote:

>from a future army point of view, might it be that the introduction of
power armour, with which the strength and speed of the biological
component of the infantryperson are all but irrelevant, would remove
this problem altogether?

Step 1, NO army can afford power armor for all it's troops.  I know in
my background, I've got four divisions completely power-armored.  Plus
about 40 or 50 with no power armor at all.  In the 'official'
backgrounds, we see in Stargrunt that most units are unarmored.

>it might also be interesting in that the attributes which make a good
footsoldier become not physical (eyesight is less important when you
have a big computerised image-intesified optical/ir scope and a

Pet Peeve:  Eyesight has not been that big a deal since they invented
eyeglasses.  I speak from the perspective of a man with 20/400 vision
in one eye and 2/200 in the other.

>thus, it is no longer the archetypal/stereotypical big, heavily built,
tough-arse bruce willis type who makes a good soldier, but the
physically inept but quick-thinking nerds. revenge is sweet!

This joker has never been the best soldier.  It's the little wiry guy
that can load up a 70 pound ruck and move 15 miles a day (average
marching speed of pre-mechanized armies) and fight a battle at the end
of the day.  Sod that Rambo Shit.

>of course, this is already true in many/most branches of the infantry,
especially special forces, engineers, etc.

Engineers are NOT rpt NOT a branch of the Infantry.  Seperate--we're
the ones that PASSED the ASVAB.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: How to handle Resin Next: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish