Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 00:55:36 +0100
Subject: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

	I've found a few scanty references.
>	( I'm not sure how accurate these are...)
>
>	There was a "warrior queen" named Boadicea in Roman age
>	Britain who gave the Romans a hard time.  She conquered
>	the Roman colony of Camulodunum (now Cholchester)
>	and defeated an entire Roman division.

	Yep a nasty piece of work however she got beat in the only
pitched battle
of the revolt. I think by division you mean Legion (about 5000 men).
IIRC
no legions were lost although several smaller units and their forts were
overrun.

>	And there was Bat Zabbai ( Zenobia Septimia )
>	who ruled Syria from 250AD to 275AD.
>	She routed the Roman legions sent by Emperor
>	Claudius.

	She ruled Palmyra. Odenathus, her predessor, and was able to
conquor
Syria, Mesopotamia, Plaestine and much of the the Roman East from the
PERSIANS no less (the Romans were in a bad way). My main beef here is
that
she was the political brains and her hubby commanded the armies. When
they
were defeated by the Emperor Aurelian, Zenobia and hubby fled into the
desert. Zenobia, being quite pregnant and all, was slowing the party
down
and the Romans were gaining. Eventually hubby got sick of all this and
stabbed Zenobia, so that she wouldn't be captured, and went his own way.
Nice bloke.
	IIRC Montevert Publications did a book titled "Warrior Women" on
various
female military leaders form ancient and medieval history. Might be
worth a
look if anyone has it or knows where to get a copy. I haven't seen one
for
a couple of years.
	Sorry if I seem to be nick picking (ok I am nit picking) but
Roman
haistory is my thing and I need an excuse to stay away from my thesis
for a
little while.

	Tony.
	twilko@ozemail.com.au

Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish