Prev: Re: [FT universe] was [URL] New Star and Campaign Maps Next: [ADMIN] Removals from List?

Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@c...>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 21:37:38 -0400
Subject: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

John Atkinson wrote:
> Unfortunately female command in real warfare is rather limited.
>
> There was a woman who's name I can't recall who was the wife of a
> Lombard chieftan who was noted for saving his butt in one battle--she
> was commanding one of his wings and pulled his fat out of the fire.

	I've found a few scanty references.
	( I'm not sure how accurate these are...)

	There was a "warrior queen" named Boadicea in Roman age
	Britain who gave the Romans a hard time.  She conquered
	the Roman colony of Camulodunum (now Cholchester)
	and defeated an entire Roman division.

	There was another warrior queen born in 1533 AD
	named Amina Sarauniya Zazzua in western Africa
	( northern Nigeria: Zaria)
	She lead raids as far as the powerful Nupe kingom
	to the southwest, and the Kwararafa to the southeast,
	and ruled for almost thirty-four years.

	And there was Bat Zabbai ( Zenobia Septimia )
	who ruled Syria from 250AD to 275AD.
	She routed the Roman legions sent by Emperor
	Claudius.

Prev: Re: [FT universe] was [URL] New Star and Campaign Maps Next: [ADMIN] Removals from List?