Prev: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2. Next: Re: [FT universe] was [URL] New Star and Campaign Maps/Novel

Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

From: "Tom Sullivan" <starkfist@h...>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 16:04:12 PDT
Subject: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

>From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@swob.dna.fi>

>> It seems everyone is missing the point here.  I may be doing the >>
same,  but at least I am missing the point in a different way!

>No Tom, you got the point all right.

Hey, all right!  Sometimes I amaze myself with my own adequacy.

SNIP

>"Dirtside II is a comprehensive set of *generic* rules for simulating
>science fiction battles in *virtually*ANY* background or 'future
>history'." -Dirtside II back cover blurb, presumably Jon Tuffley, >1993
>(emphasis added)
>
>Maybe it's because English is a second language for me...
>
>--
>maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio)

My first language is gibberish, so we are even on that count.  Let me
offer an analogy, if I may.  Long, long ago, I used to play a Superhero
RPG called "Villans and Vigilanties".  The V&V system had all kinds of
flaws (the tougher you were, the more likely uyou were to be knocked
unconscious, for example....), but it was a more or less "generic"
superhero system--although it was never billed as such.  Those were more

innocent days--that would allow you to re-create your favorite hero, if
you so chose.  To make, say, the Human Torch you would give your
character "Flame Powers"; these would allow him to burst into flame,
fly, and throw fireballs around.  Simple, eh?  Compare that to the
Champions RPG...in which you would but Flight, Power Blast, etc., and
define them as bursting into flame and throwing fireballs around.  Which

is better?  V&V, which straightjackets you into what the writers
percieve as proper "Flame Powers", or Champions, which allows you to
define "Flame Powers" however you damned well please?

Okay, now that I have firmly defined *myself* as a geek of long
standing....

DSII has already defined Mass Drivers for me, and I might not agree with

how.  And yes, I know that I can just change the names, but that does
not really solve the problem, does it?

DSII is a good game.  It's a great game.  I have never played any
microarmor game, SF or modern, that I liked as much.  But it ain't
perfect.  It does not simulate all genres with equal skill, and
certainly not without the use of House Rules that are of dubious
acceptability.	I swear, GZG fanboys are almost as bad as GW fanboys....

Lighten up, everyone!

Hell, all I really want out of life right now is a fantasy system that
will let me reproduce Glenn Cook's Black Company.  They make the
Slammers look like a bunch of damned pansies....

You think good military SF is hard to find?   Try good military fantasy.

Tom Sullivan
"We aim to please, but we shoot to kill."

Prev: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2. Next: Re: [FT universe] was [URL] New Star and Campaign Maps/Novel