Prev: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2. Next: Re: ATTN LIST ADMIN:Please Read

Re: FTII/MT vs. FB

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 23:21:39 +0200
Subject: Re: FTII/MT vs. FB

Peter Caron wrote:

>	My local hobby store hasn't received it's copies of the FB yet.
> I've been reading the discussions here lately and find I'm REALLY
behind
> in the present game mechanics (ie. I'm lost).  Is the FB basically a
new
> system?

It is basically a new ship design system, with fewer obvious loop-holes
for the rule lawyers to exploit. (I'm pretty sure there are *some*
loop-holes left, but those are the ones we missed during the
play-testing
so they can't be that obvious :-/ )

(Note that it is perfectly possible to use FTII ship designs together
with FB ships, but don't rely on the point values to balance games.
('Course, you couldn't really do that even with only FTII ships - and
the
FTFB point values are basically "ship Mass * 3.5"  :-/ ) )

In addition to that there's an optional movement system (vector
movement), a new weapon system (the Salvo Missile and its two launch
systems), and a bunch of minor adjustments to other weapons.

>  From the chats going on here, it looks as if some MAJOR
> differences exist between the old and the new.  Is this a correct
> perception?

Yes and no. The basic system is unchanged, but a lot of details have
changed - enough to change the feel and balance of the game.

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@nacka.mail.telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2. Next: Re: ATTN LIST ADMIN:Please Read