Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 15:52:10 -0500
Subject: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

John spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> I know that even in a Guard Combat Engineer company, if a woman walked

> into the sort of conversation we pass the time with, we'd all be up on

> sexual harassment charges.  And when we use sexual analogies for
> everything from demo to small unit tactics, you'd have to have a
> serious paradigm shift if you introduced women.

Or maybe just have women who knew what to expect and could give as
good as they got verbally and could take the job physically. I've met
a few of these, and they didn't need to take shit from anyone and
they could (no word of a lie) out rude-n-crude the guys.  Not that
they'd be the kind of women you'd take to a church social, but then I
doubt I'd take some of my infantry associates to such funcitons
either.

We should have the paradigm shift you mention. But we shouldn't use
our lack of it as an excuse not to move forward, nor should we use
our fear of the results to limit us. Common sense, and a cautious
progression, will be the answer. Common standards for any job
regardless of sex, and warnings (and enforcement) to the guys who
can't keep it together with women around. Its time we stopped
babying the women by giving them double standards, and its time we
stopped babying the guys by not putting women in if they are good
enough. It's time we all (slowly) grow up and live in the 21st
century. It's coming....

Tom.

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish