Prev: MINIS-SG2 Brand Question... Next: Re: Best ship in FT2.0/FT2.5

Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 12:30:36 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

You wrote:

>with them has always been an odd fit. What bothers me the most is how
>stupid guys start acting when you interject a female into their
>environment.

>2. Most of the problems a rising from females in the military have to
do >more with us men, and the double fitness standard imposed by the
Army.

My favorite pet peeve.	How about going from male/female standards to
REMF/Real Soldier standards?  Clerk-typists all get the old female
standards, and combat soldiers _all_ get the male standards (or
harsher).

>3. That being said, we're not ready yet for full integration in combat
>arms. If it screws up small unit cohesion then I'm against it. And
like >it or not, when you interject women into the archaic all male
world of a >combat arms unit, (where sexual innuendoes and humor make
up 90% of the >banter)	the first priority of the guys usually becomes
getting laid.

I know that even in a Guard Combat Engineer company, if a woman walked
into the sort of conversation we pass the time with, we'd all be up on
sexual harassment charges.  And when we use sexual analogies for
everything from demo to small unit tactics, you'd have to have a
serious paradigm shift if you introduced women.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: MINIS-SG2 Brand Question... Next: Re: Best ship in FT2.0/FT2.5