Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

Re: OT[DS2]TD Design

From: David <dluff@e...>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 10:34:45 -0400
Subject: Re: OT[DS2]TD Design

John Skelly wrote:

> I'm a big WW2 buff when it comes to history so I gotto jump in.  I
once read
> that one reason that assault guns were made was due to the difficulty
in
> manufacturing turret rings.  I've only read this in one text (the name
> excapes me) It even mentioned that they (Germans) would salvage the
rings
> off of damaged tanks to be sent to the rear for use in new tanks.
>
> Now, if this is true, I can imagine colonies having the same
manufacturing
> restrictions.  I know we're talking 2300AD here but for a DS scenario
the
> colonists could be forced to use Assault guns rather than full fledged
> tanks.
>
> If anyone else has heard of this I'd appreciate the source.

captured/remanuctured
> > AFVs.
> > > Not as MBTs, but for SP arty, recovery vehicles etc.
> >
> > Heh.  Lots of french stuff... the Lorrain-schlepper (sp) is a
> > particularly clumsy looking beast.
> >
> > --
> > Barry Cadwgan ( BCADWGAN@FL.NET.AU )
> > http://www.users.fl.net.au/~bcadwgan/homepage.htm
> > "The end does not justify the means.
> >  The end is the sum of the means,
> >  as the road travelled determines the destination."
> > Valijon Starbringer (Hellflower Trilogy, Eluki bes Shahar)

I agree that the costs to build turreted vehicle must be expensive and
that a colony, specially primarly farming or mining, would not have the
factories to build the needed vehicles where as the SP guns would be far
easier and cheaper.  David

Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish