Prev: Re: GZG OT Duck the tape Next: Re: GZG OT Duck the tape

Re: [SGII] Psi Powers in Stargrunt

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 22:21:13 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: [SGII] Psi Powers in Stargrunt

You wrote:

>	Now the Terrans, on the other hand....	My inspiration for the
Terran >Espers is a book entitled "Dream Baby", by (I think) Bruce
McAllister, >which details the military use of psychics during the
Vietnam War.  Yes, >it's fiction....  Anyway, McAllister's view of
psychic powers is that they >are generally very passive (clairvoyance,
heightened reaction time, >precognition), and are a survival mechanism
triggered by deep stress. >Combat, in other words.  An additional
source of inspiration was the very >brief use of Espers by Heinlein
during "Starship Troopers", which gives us >a picture of Espers as an
intelligence gathering tool--and a fragile tool, >at that.

It also reminds me of the usage of Sensitives in RAH's Future History
(particularly the story If This Goes On--) as being really, really
secure radios, but generally not fully functional humans.  "Crowded in
behind me was a psychoperator and his crew of sensitives, eight women
and a neurotic fourteen-year-old-boy." They operated by establishing a
'channel' between them and a sensitive elsewhere, which was usually
aided by hypnotics and possibly drugs.	Good rules, can't wait to see
the Imperial Thoughtcasters.  :)  They of course wouldn't show in my
normal background, but might make for an interesting change of pace,
esp with the alien rules someone else posted.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: GZG OT Duck the tape Next: Re: GZG OT Duck the tape