Prev: Re: FMA Anyone ? Next: [GZG MISC] FT, SG2 and DS2 Starter Kits

Re: [MISC] Shock Force

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 21:35:18 GMT
Subject: Re: [MISC] Shock Force

On Mon, 07 Sep 1998 12:44:56 -0400, laserlight <laserlight@mci2000.com>
wrote:

>Essentially, I'm looking for the "De Bellis Antiquitas" of science
fiction
>ground action.  Is there such a thing already, or do I need to design
it
>myself and reap all the fame and wealth that would thereby accrue to me
; )

I don't know of one for sci-fi. However, I do have something similar for
World
War 2. It's Great Battles of World War II, Volumes 1 and 2 published by
The
Canadian Wargamer's Group. Volume 1 is The Canadians in Europe, and
Volume 2
is Drop Zone.

Both are stand alone games, with about 10 pages (8.5" by 11") of rules.
The
rest of the book is mostly scenarios with some historical commentary. In
spite
of the focus of the books, they include information on German,
Commonwealth,
American, and Soviet armour, so extrapolation for those eras is
possible.
Volume 1 covers an interesting, but often neglected, part of the Western
Front, covering Canadian participation in Italy, Normandy, and the
clearing of
Holland. Volume 2 covers paratroop actions from Crete, and a
hypothetical
taking of Malta, to Pegasus Bridge and Market Garden.

I haven't tried the rules other than to play around with the mechanics.
They
are designed for large battles but without a lot of figures (not the
Brigade
fight at skirmish level that usually occurs in this scale of rules).
They cost
$C15 for 75 pages of 8.5" x 11". For the scenario details and maps alone
they
are well worth the price.

If you were looking to build a DBA-in-sci-fi you could do worse than
look at
these rules.

Allan Goodall	       agoodall@sympatico.ca

"We come into the world and take our chances
 Fate is just the weight of circumstances
 That's the way that Lady Luck dances
 Roll the bones." - N. Peart

Prev: Re: FMA Anyone ? Next: [GZG MISC] FT, SG2 and DS2 Starter Kits