Prev: FMA Anyone ? Next: Re: cavalry rules

Re: [MISC] Shock Force

From: laserlight <laserlight@m...>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 12:44:56 -0400
Subject: Re: [MISC] Shock Force

>>Shockforce - fast, simple, easy to remember, no counters. Unlike most
>>other games of its ilk, has complete construction rules so I can play
with
>>my old space marines.

(snip)

>Well, first of all, Shock Force is a 25/28mm scale skirmish game, not
Microarmor.  But that's begging the question.  Why bother to play it?
Let
me put it this way…I am a great fan of SGII, and have attempted on
innumerable occasions to get my group to play it.  They will do so, but
only with reluctance.  They don't like the rules; they are too complex
and
too slow.  Shock Force, on the other hand....  We now play Shock Force,
or
some variation thereof, almost every single week.  We use it for Science
Fiction skirmish, we use it for Fantasy skirmish, one guy is even
working
on using it for 15mm Napoleonic battles.  Not skirmishes, battles.<

(snip)

>What do all these systems have in common?  They are all very quick,
simple
rules.	We can play 2 or 3 games of Shock Force in the time it takes to
play ¾ of a game of SGII.  And they do not require constant
consultations
of the rulebook if you have not played in two or three months.<

I am looking for something which:
a) is on the scale of DS2
b) has a mix of unit types (but not necessarily "design your own
vehicle"
because frankly, it takes effort to get the time to design a FTFB class,
and I'm more interested in that than I am in ground action)
c) is quick and easy.
Essentially, I'm looking for the "De Bellis Antiquitas" of science
fiction
ground action.	Is there such a thing already, or do I need to design it
myself and reap all the fame and wealth that would thereby accrue to me
; )

Anyone who wants to repond offlist (eg by sending your own homegrown
rules):
laserlight@mci2000.com

Prev: FMA Anyone ? Next: Re: cavalry rules