Prev: [MIN] DS2 model/painting questions Next: Re: Anti-armor mines!

Re: [MIN] DS2 model/painting questions

From: Samuel Reynolds <reynol@p...>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 12:39:28 -0600
Subject: Re: [MIN] DS2 model/painting questions

>OK, for all you DS2 mini painters out there:
>
>1) How do you all paint your 6mm/1/300/1/285/whatever infantry?  I'm
going
>to be starting on my own (finally) and I'm not sure how to go about
>painting a person that small.	I want them to look good, be
recognizeable
>for what they are, but I'm not out to win awards.

I clean and primer them (white Krylon primr), then stick 2-3 rows
on a "tongue depressor" craft stick with Plasti-Tak for an assembly
line. I paint all the faces (tan) or face plates (blue, or black if
the uniform will be blue) and hands (tan). Drybrush faces with white.
color. Base-coat the remainder of the figures. If hair is visible,
paint it various reasonable colors, then touch up basecoat around it.
Drybrush uniforms a lighter shade of the base color (tan for brown,
gray for black, etc.). Paint a few details and weapons as appropriate.
Maybe put a dot of color for shoulder patches.
   There's probably a faster way, though. I still haven't finished
a full infantry force--though I've had lots of other demands on my
time.

>2) Anybody got any good ideas about how to straighten the barrels of
>GHQ/C&C type tanks/APCs?  The barrels are pretty close to scale, so
they
>are really thin.  They are all bent to some degree, and my fiddling has

>just got them to look, well, less bent.  I would like to acheive a
nice,
>straight barrel, especially on the tanks - that's where it's most
obvious.

First: Why bother? They'll just bend again at the least touch,
until they finally break off. Maybe you could clip them off and
replace them with a bit of straight pin or piano wire.

Second: If you *really* want to try to keep them straight, get
a pair of "assembly pliers". These are the fine-nosed pliers
used to assemble parts in printed circuit boards. The business
end is about 3/4" to 1" long, 3/8" wide at the base, and 1/16"
or less at the tip, with a straight taper (so they look triangular
from above). They have a very flat, toothless grip, ideal for
straightening wire (which is, in part, what they're designed for).

>Thanks!
>
>Noah

Samuel Reynolds
http://www.primenet.com/~reynol
reynol@primenet.com
samuel_reynolds@csgsystems.com

Prev: [MIN] DS2 model/painting questions Next: Re: Anti-armor mines!