Prev: Re: Anti-armor mines! Next: Re: Anti-armor mines!

Re: Anti-armor mines!

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 07:42:24 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Anti-armor mines!

You wrote:

><<  The most effective current AT mine is the M-21 Heavy
> Anti-tank mine which weighs 17.25 pounds, and uses a direct-energy
> warhead (Miznay-Schardin effect).
>  >>

>What is the Miznay-Schardin effect? Is this what they're calling the
self->forging projectile concept or have they renamed the Monroe
effect?

It's kissing cousins to the Monroe effect, IIRC.  I'm not much on the
physics of this, I just listen to the classes and read the manuals.  As
I understand it, your Monroe is the conventional shaped charge, with
deep (relatively) indentation in the explosive.  Miznay-Schardin is
just slightly concave and sends the steel plate into motion without
being compressed into a thin jet like a TOW warhead.  Of course, that's
just my understanding--I could be way off on this.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: Anti-armor mines! Next: Re: Anti-armor mines!