Prev: [DS2] Calling Aerospace Next: RE: Anti-armor mines!

Re: Anti-armor mines!

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 23:45:25 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Anti-armor mines!

You wrote:

>>weighs 1000's of tons. A minefield is probably 100Kg to 1 ton. A 10 -

>a rock and a mine? I'm sure J.A. will correct me if I'm wrong, but
>most mines you would be looking for would be less than 10kg.

I'm staying out of this mostly 'coz I don't have the expertise in
modern sensors to speculate on future sensors.	This isn't stopping
some people, but I ain't trying to add to the noise ratio.

But since I've been asked, mines range from 74g(2.37oz) for the PFM-1
Scatterable Antipersonel Mine made by the FSU, to 13.6kg (30lbs) for
the MK-7 Antitank Mine made by the UK and the M-15 Heavy Antitank Mine
made by the US.

Further consideration:	Caseings for the PMD-6 family of AP mines are
wooden.  Go ahead and set your detector dohicky to detect stuff the
density of WOOD.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: [DS2] Calling Aerospace Next: RE: Anti-armor mines!