Prev: Re: Email Problems Next: [MIN] Finally got my 1st SGII Platoon!!!

Re: Modeling Solar Sail Ships

From: Samuel Reynolds <reynol@p...>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 07:35:06 -0600
Subject: Re: Modeling Solar Sail Ships

><< >Metallized mylar (such as is used for balloons) would, in my
opinion, look
> >best, and it resists tearing pretty well.  Thickness would be
something
> >like .001", and if your local plastics distributor doesn't have it as
> >metallized mylar, try asking for shim stock of .0005 to .002 thick.
> >don't know of an adhesive that works particularly well on mylar,
though.
> >You might use 1/16" dia clear acrylic rod for the framework.
>
> Metalized mylar would, of course, be the most authentic
> thing you could use--it's the actual compenent in a number
> of designs!
>
> - Sam >>
>
>How would you sim in in FT?

For the model, I'd use clear plastic from a blister-pack,
and round the cut edges to make it look thinner. It could
be in any reasonable shape, but I'd probably use a hexagon.
Wash the plastic with metallic silver to make it silvery
but still transparent.
   For points, I'd allocate maybe 1 hull damage point
per row (the last one on the row) to the sail. I'd say
max thrust of 2 if using the sail. Pay for a thrust-2
engine. Actual thrust would be proportional to remaining
sail damage points, rounded to the nearest unit. Note that
this could result in a derelict *without* a threshold roll!
.5-mil mylar is basically fragile stuff!
  Using auxiliary engines (normal engines) when
sail is deployed destroys the sail (mark off last
damage point on each row), but allows higher thrust
(per normal thrust/design rules). One full turn with
no acceleration is required to deploy or stow the
sail. Auxiliary engine is *separate* from sail, so
ship with thrust-2 sail and thrust-4 auxiliary
engine would pay for *2* engines, one T-2 and one
T-4, which could *not* be used together.

Probably not too useful for combat ships, but maybe
for in-system freighters wandering through the combat
zone, or being escorted during an in-system conflict.
Or maybe freighters with T-1 or T-2 sail "engine" (for
system transit to jump point) and FTL jump engine. This
would be for non-critical bulk cargo.

- Sam

Samuel Reynolds
http://www.primenet.com/~reynol
reynol@primenet.com
samuel_reynolds@csgsystems.com

Prev: Re: Email Problems Next: [MIN] Finally got my 1st SGII Platoon!!!