Prev: Re: [OT] [SG] Resin rant. was Finally got my 1st SGII Platoon Next: Re: [DS2]GEVs

Re: Anti-armor mines!

From: "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 10:52:51 +1200
Subject: Re: Anti-armor mines!

Tony Christney <acc@questercorp.com> wrote:
>Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely that you could devise a
>gravity meter that could measure such minute variations in the local
>field. Current field gravity meters may be able to detect a
>salt dome of several thousand metric tons after many corrections
>(usually free-air, Bouguer, topological and tidal). Mines - no way.
>
>If you were to measure such small variations, you would have to get
>very close to the mines (probably on the order of centimeters), at
>which point you would be in the middle of the mine field...
    Today's gravity meters mounted Los Angeles class submarines can
detect
opposing Soviet submarines. See a recent issue of Scientific American,
which
discusses declassified US Navy gravitometers and their accuracy.
    Given 100-200 years of rapidly improving technology, and I see no
reason
my why mines couldn't be located from outside their burst radius.

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/

>>Not quite, if you look in a Physics (I know that I spelling that
wrong)
book