Prev: Re: [OT] [SG] Resin rant. was Finally got my 1st SGII Platoon Next: Re: Modeling Solar Sail Ships

Re: Gauss Weapons

From: "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 08:53:38 +1200
Subject: Re: Gauss Weapons

Samuel Reynolds <reynol@primenet.com> wrote:
>Besides, with a few passive EM sensors you could easily localise
>the Gauss weapons from the EM pulse they generate when they fire.
    In the high tech battlefield that DSII proposes and which is
realistic,
there would be an enormous number of other EM emissions as well,
including
EM emissions from smoke!
    With transmissions from a phased array antenna and liberal computer
power, my EW forces will be making sure that the artillery EM pulses
seem
like they are coming from the enemy forces tank assembly area!

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/

>>Thomas Barclay wrote:
>>
>>> Well, you'd get lighter ammo (hence you could have more). You'd get
>>> low signature firing which makes locating your weapon based on
>>> signature harder. You'd probably be much kinder to the ears of the
>>> crew too. And it would be a good way to work around to tank guns and
>>> infantry gauss weapons too.
>>>
>>> Tom.
>>
>>The low signature is moot.  Counter-battery fire is currently done by
using
>>radar to track the projectiles in flight, and since they are
ballistic, it
is
>>easy enough to back-calculate their point of origin.	That's why towed
>>artillery is out of fashion - it takes too long to hook up and scoot
in a
mobile