Prev: RE: Regrouping Qs Next: RE: Regrouping Qs

Re: GZG DS2 ADS: Noah's ADS Expansions

From: "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 17:45:51 +1200
Subject: Re: GZG DS2 ADS: Noah's ADS Expansions

Noah Doyle <nvdoyle@midlink.com> wrote:
>Found My DS2 ADS stuff, finally - here's a cleaned-up version.
<SNIP!>
>A few notes are necessary here.  Standard GMS's are only good against
>ground targets and VTOLs in Low mode.
    I allow that VTOLs are valid targets in high mode and in range,
because
they can fire at ground targets in range.

>To shoot at aircraft/VTOLs in High,
>it must be an ADS/GMS.  LAD is still considered manpack missiles, and
its
>function has not changed.  The only changes in everything else are in
the
>stats of the ADSs and the damage function.  I have limited ADS weapons
>class 1 & 2 based on the necessity to target the weapon very rapidly -
this
>is better achieved with a light weapon.  This is a highly accurate
anti-air
>system, not a gigantic flak gun.  Even with an HEL, you would still
have a
>significant aperture/mirror/whatever to move around.  I decided to have
>capacity requirements be directly related to weapon size, as opposed to
>system quality.  Software over hardware.
    My variant is based on the capacity requirements of twin weapons in
turret, which is what the DSII ADS seems to be based on.

>As there were only 2 sizes, I
>decided to drop one of the original 3; the 20-pointer went, as I really
had
>a hard time seeing a class 4 vehicle chock-full-o-ADS.
    German Gepard. Twin 30/35 mm cannon AA defence vehicle. Leopard
chassis
is about size 4, in my opinion.

>It's a personal
>decision.  YMMV.  GMS attacks on aircraft are resolved as normal GMS
>attacks.  Put ECM on your aircraft.  Think seriously about PDSs as
well.
    I agree! One could even go to the extent of placing ADS on aircraft!

> The whole thing is designed to give the ability to create a really
nasty
>Air Defence Environment.  Anti-Air lasers tend to make high flight a
thing
>of the past.
    Though you could have slow flying aerospace craft and ground attack
aerospace craft variants using terrain to hide behind! See my DSII site
for
more.

<SNIP!>
>*If a VTOL/aerospace craft  suffers a target systems down check, you
might
>want to give the player a chance to get the systems back up as normal -
if
>you're feeling generous.  It could limp back to base, to appear later
in a
>campaign, or something.  It's still a mission kill.  Usually, though,
it's
>a crash.
    I think you're wrong here. A Target Systems Down and Firer Systems
Down
chit result just means the vehicle with the chit can't perform any
combat
actions, until the crew fix the problem or a Engineer vehicle can fix
it.
While a VTOL/Aerospace Craft is unlikely to have Engineer
VTOLs/Aerospace
Craft, the crew can still push reset buttons, invert the aerospace craft
or
shake the VTOL to free jammed weaponry, remove the safety catch from the
weapon's release button, or realise they've pushed the wrong button!
    Just let the crew of that craft perform a repair check instead of a
combat action as per the standard rules. Assume aerospace craft are
flying
over their own lines while doing this. VTOLs should move to cover, then
try
to fix the problem.

>... Mobility hit?  Crash.
    I would let the VTOL/Aerospace craft land immobilised at the point
of
weapons impact. If the VTOL/Aerospace craft came from a humane (caring)
force, they will have to rescue the crew. Or you could capture the crew,
and
interrogate them! While you're trying to do that, the crew can
frantically
try to restart engines, etc. and fly away, or maybe they decide to leap
out
and hoof it back to their own lines?
    Just use the standard rules for immobilized vehicles in DSII. This
avoids having to remember too much!

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/

Prev: RE: Regrouping Qs Next: RE: Regrouping Qs