Prev: Re: Nea Rhomaioi Next: re: New TBMD Laser

RE: New TBMD Laser

From: Noah Doyle <nvdoyle@m...>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 19:07:56 -0500
Subject: RE: New TBMD Laser

As this seems to be the best way to deal with firing a laser through an
atmosphere, most combat lasers would probably have this feature.
There's a
couple of was to work around the atmospheric distortion - they were
doing
some tests with a Space Shuttle (Atlantis, I think) bouncing beams from
Hawaii off the Shuttle and vice versa.	With particle beams you have
another problem entirely - beam scatter/distortion due to the planet's
magnetic field.  You get around it be altering the charge on the
projectile
particles.  It all kind of depends on your particular FT background.

I wonder how useful this TBMD laser palne would be at shooting down
other
aircraft.  If the beam footprint is the size of a basketball, unless
they
can hold it on the target for a *long* time (probably not), that's an
enormous amount of energy being delivered.  Might be able to finish off
plane right quick.

Noah