Prev: [DS2]GEVs Next: Re: [OT] Re: Meaning and origin of term I've heard in a few movi

Re: [DS2] GEV mechanics

From: Pmj6@a...
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 14:36:19 EDT
Subject: Re: [DS2] GEV mechanics

In a message dated 9/1/1998 7:07:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
jatkins6@ix.netcom.com writes:

<<
 It doesn't mention DFFGs either, but I don't think we should limit
 ourselves to what the US Army feels it can afford in today's tight
 budget climate with modern science. >>

That's true, but what I was getting that is that hovercraft technology
has
been around for decades and nobody has yet found a way to build a viable
hovertank.  DFFGs are, of course, still out of reach technologically,
but
hovercraft are not.  By contrast, it took less than a decade for
aircraft to
catch on.

<<Assuming you're using the official scales, a movement of 30 indicate
3km per 15-minute turn.  12km an hour isn't THAT excessive!  >>

There's obviously a problem with official scales, then.  Fast Tracked
translates to only 6 km/h, which is slower than WWI era tanks.
Fifteen-minute
turns probably account for long periods of inactivity ("hurry up and
wait") of
military operations.

Mike Jasinski

Prev: [DS2]GEVs Next: Re: [OT] Re: Meaning and origin of term I've heard in a few movi