Prev: Re: GZG DS2 SG2: Stephen <SRKOAL@AOL> Vehicle Designer URL location? Next: EFSB URL Stellardyne Shipyards

Re: Tank Destroyers (was: GE Mechanics)

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 09:52:08 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: Tank Destroyers (was: GE Mechanics)

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Hedglin, Nils A wrote:

> withstand a hit if it does get through, & maybe it shouldn't.  Maybe
the TD
> is no longer a viable vehicle type, especially with the HMMV w/ a TOW
being
> able to do the job just as well.

Well, according to what modern armies field today, it isn't (a certain
tank from a certain nation that hasn't been in a war this century
doesn't
count).

I think this is another case of "realism" interfering with playability.

As the vanilla rules go, it makes practically no sense to build a
vehicle
with hull mounted main gun or an open topped vehicle.

Might be "realistic", but Hammer's Slammers stories had both, and not as
obsolete rear echelon crap either. Which do you want to game? Modern
warfare with laser guns added, or your fave scifi story, even though it
might be slightly unrealistic? Would you enjoy having your carefully
crafted "Imperial Hoth Assault Force" slaughtered by a "realistic"
opposing force just because AT-AT isn't a viable design in DSII? Comes
down to personal preference, I think...

Let me tell you about another game. We used to play Mecha! a lot. It was
fun game. It was a "generic anime giant robot game" that could simulate
mecha from a wide variety of shows. Well, it could in theory. It's just
that the way the system system worked, if you didn't build a mecha with
one main weapon, no smaller backups, a supply of missile packs and a
shield, well, you were screwed against an opponent who did.

Thus, you couldn't easily pit a Valkyrie from Macross against a Gundam.
IMHO, the system failed in this role. It didn't really allow you to use
mecha from any background, you had to conform to their background and
philosophy of combat to be effective. In our case this went as far as
people gluing jury-rigged shields on their Valkyries...

Dirtside's problem, ofcourse, is trying to simulate a vast variety of SF
stories. Instead of being locked down in "one true path", it could use a
couple of optional background modifiers, e.g.

"You don't like GMS/H jeeps ruling the battlefield? Then adjust this and
that..."

I like the proposed free signature shift for turretless vehicles.
Maybe their max armor allowed could also be increased by one...

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: GZG DS2 SG2: Stephen <SRKOAL@AOL> Vehicle Designer URL location? Next: EFSB URL Stellardyne Shipyards