Prev: Re: GZG DS2 SG2: GE Mechanics Next: Re: Tank Destroyers (was: GE Mechanics)

Re: Tank Destroyers (was: GE Mechanics)

From: "Buji Kern" <mrbuji@w...>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 17:50:11 -0700
Subject: Re: Tank Destroyers (was: GE Mechanics)

<delurk>

I'm going to jump in here. I've always liked TDs.

>You wrote:
>
>>made up for by their small size & fast speed in comparison to most of
>then >lumbering MBTs.	Unfortunately, I have found that DSII doesn't
>
>Eh?  US TDs were faster than Shermans, but StuGs and SU-XXs weren't
>that fast compared to their respective medium tanks.  Small size is not
>quite right--lower silouette is better term.

Yep. And German TDs (except the Hetzer) usually weren't smaller (i.e.
lighter) than the tanks, just lower. And what about monstrosities like
the
Jagdtiger and the British Tortoise? They were huge, tall, slow,
massively
armored (without a turret) and had big guns. In the German case at
least, I
seem to remember TDs and assault guns being used because it was often
easier
to take the turret off an existing tank chassis and use a larger (or
longer,
or both) gun than redesign the turret to handle the additional size and
recoil.

-Buji

Prev: Re: GZG DS2 SG2: GE Mechanics Next: Re: Tank Destroyers (was: GE Mechanics)