Prev: RE: SG Humor Next: FT Political Geography

Re: SG2, using jetbikes in stargrunt.

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 10:07:23 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: SG2, using jetbikes in stargrunt.

You wrote:

>Plus the wierdness of 1920, wherein
>> Budenny's Cavalry Army engaged a simillar-sized formation of Polish
>> cavalry including volunteers composed of noblemen with their fedual
>> retainers, a scene straight out of the Middle Ages.	But neither
side>> was what I'd consider heavily equipped with modern weapons.

>What was this?  Something from the tail end of the Russian Civil War?

Nope.  Poland invaded Soviet Union in alliance with Lithuanians and
Ukranians.  Took Kiev, lost Kiev, got pushed back almost to Warsaw, and
then destroyed the Red Army in a pair of titanic battles.  They were
probably the most significant battles in this century, but the least
well-known.  Had Poland falled, there would be nothing in disarmed and
demoralized Germany that could have slowed them down, and contemporary
writers speculated on whether the French could have convinced their
army to fight, as heavily ridden with pro-Communist sentiment as it
was.  Had the Poles not stood, the entire continent could have been
Communist by the end of 1921.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: RE: SG Humor Next: FT Political Geography