Prev: Re: SG Humor Next: Re: SG Humor

Re: SG2, using jetbikes in stargrunt.

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 10:58:58 +0100
Subject: Re: SG2, using jetbikes in stargrunt.

>You wrote:
>
>>Any smart player would take pot shots at the just so they can not
>dismount, thus >invalidating the purpose of the troops.The only way is
>to withdraw from combat >ro find cover.
>
>I'd make it worse than that.  I'd let the effects of the supression
>take effect as if they were infantry--after all, these bikers are not
>exactally protected by armor.
>
>>Maybe it is the way I use them, but I use them to get units to
>advantagous >places on the field. Unless there is lots of covor, just 1
>suppression HURTS.
>
>Ideally, mounted infantry should use the bikes for operational and
>tactical mobility before entering combat.  IOW, you get there quickly,
>then dismount to fight.  I've never heard of a mounted infantry unit
>dismounting under fire deliberately (ie as part of their plan).  You
>either get off when you get to the scene of the fight (see: Buford's
>Cavalry Brigade at Gettysburg) or your CO makes the determination that
>the battle will be fought mounted (As in the Light Horse charge that
>was obviously the inspiration for this whole thing in the first place).
>
>>The best way to use them, is to allow them to dismount while suppress
>(any idiot >can dsimount a bike, an APC is alot harder).
>
>It's not a matter of "hard"--dismounting an APC is easy.  It's a matter
>of it's dangerous out there, and the APC provides an illusion of
>security.

Just a thought (not an [OFFICIAL] idea...) - if jetbike troops take a
suppression while mounted, do an immediate reaction test (TL to be
determined - ideas?) - if they pass, then they can continue moving, if
they
fail then the have to do a "crash dismount" - get the bikes on the deck
fast, probably with a risk of damaging some of them, and riders roll off
into whatever cover is available?

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: SG Humor Next: Re: SG Humor