Prev: [DS][SG] call for morale rules Next: RE: Proposed Chat Times for Yahoo GZG Club

Re: SG Humor

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 01:23:37 GMT
Subject: Re: SG Humor

On Sun, 30 Aug 1998 19:58:44 -0500, Noah Doyle <nvdoyle@midlink.com>
wrote:

>XXX Boy, if 40k is like an RPG, I don't want to play that RPG (Blam!
Blam!
> OK, everybody roll up new characters...)

As an RPG player, I find that SG is closer to my RPGs than 40K. Of
course I
play Call of Cthulhu, not AD&D, or (shudder) the near-infamous Senzar...

>Old 40k
>(yes, I used to play - back when there was one book, it was US$20, and
20
>Space Marines were US$15) drama consisted of whether or not the
scratchb
>uilt walker would survive any handling  XXX

I remember old 40K! In fact, Rogue Trader was the only version of 40K I
ever
played. It had its problems (no negative modifier for firing when
moving? no
opportunity fire rule? broken point system? arms race?) but they were
easily
fixed (in fact, GW actually recognized the opportunity fire rule
problem;
funny, Dunnigan realized this shortly after Panzerblitz came out, about
15
years earlier...). It was a fun game if you kept it down to 30 or so
figures a
side, most of which were just regular infantry types.

>XXX Hard SF Fanboy - oh yeah!	My Terran MI can take your weenie Space
>Marines any day!  Why? Well, for one, we've got realistic background,
>substance, and a coherent reason for existing!  How about that?XXX

Gee, and I thought it was because your MI had nukes...

>XXX Of course I read Hemingway.  All of my ESU Volunteer Brigades are
quite
>angst-ridden, and we have bull-runs occasionally.  They rarely make it
past
>the first APSW.  40k players read? :) XXX

I preferred F. Scott Fitzgerald, myself. All my NSL troops are destined
for a
tragic demise, but with lots of neat imagery in the terrain...

>XXX No, it's a *good* idea to question SG players' gaming preferences -

>you'll usually get a well reasoned answer, and spark some productive
>discussion.  They can also tell you *exactly* why they hate 40k, too.

This echoes my thoughts!

>As
>for the 40k players, well, "nothing else looks as cool" (real quote,
>honest). XXX

I always thought 40K was the triumph of style over substance.

Allan Goodall	       agoodall@sympatico.ca

"We come into the world and take our chances
 Fate is just the weight of circumstances
 That's the way that Lady Luck dances
 Roll the bones." - N. Peart

Prev: [DS][SG] call for morale rules Next: RE: Proposed Chat Times for Yahoo GZG Club