Prev: Re: Gauss Weapons Next: Re: [GZG: FT/FB] Indy hits with Pulse Torps!! A mini game report... (long)

Re: Anti-armor mines!

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 11:34:47 -0500
Subject: Re: Anti-armor mines!

Richard spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> On 25 Aug 98 at 11:01, Thomas Barclay wrote:
>
> > Possibly the same tech as ultrasonic imagers and MRI machines.
> > Something that can image map the ground ahead of you.... and thus
> > you can detect mines by their different density properties which are
> > thus pretty hard to make in such a way as to fool the detectors.
>
> Make 'em look like rocks, visually, and density wise.

Well, it occurs to me that you need
1. a case
2. a charge
3. shrapnel or a penetrator depending on function (could be case
related)
4. an initiatior and trigger
5. potentially, sensors

The idea of being able to make these all of the same density,
electrical characteristics, and appearance as earth or rock strikes
me as nigh impossible. The modern MS gear would have MRI style tech,
Ground Penetrating radar, some sort of EM detector (pick up
batteries, currents, etc. in sensors and actuators), and maybe an
integrated chem sniffer. You'd be able to see through the ground and
get a good idea what is up ahead.

Now, the issue (as usual) is when your infantry has to cross a
minefield but no engineers with cool kit like this are around... then
we're back to the same old 'poke in the sand' methods used for time
immemorial..... and some mines will detonate when poked.

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: Gauss Weapons Next: Re: [GZG: FT/FB] Indy hits with Pulse Torps!! A mini game report... (long)