Prev: Re: GZG FT: Real world standards. Next: Re: GZG FT: Real world standards.

Re: Modeling Solar Sail Ships

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 08:38:55 +0100
Subject: Re: Modeling Solar Sail Ships

>Hello:
>	OK, here's a tough one!
>	I've been thinking of trying to create a fleet of solar sail
type
>vessels. (Don't ask me why, we miniature gamers like to think of such
>things.)  However, I've hit one snag:	How in the heck do I model the
>actual "sail."  First I thought of using plastic wrap glued to a frame
>of some sort, but I disarded that quickly because it was transpartent
>and it would sag and look very sloppy.  Tin foil was my next thought.
>But that's too heavy and would look horrible if wrinkled.  Mylar would
>be best if I could find a way to make it fit snuggly against the
model's
>sail frame.  Does anyone have any thoughts?
>--
>Later,
>Mark A. Siefert

First reaction is that I'd go for something rigid and simple (as the
Actress said to the Bishop....) -  I actually think a transparent sail
might look best for a miniature, as anything solid or silvered could
well
look far too "heavy" on a small model. How about a disk of clear plastic
(acetate?) for the sail with framing lines painted on or applied with a
technical pen, then rigging lines of thin piano wire to connect the sail
the ship?

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: GZG FT: Real world standards. Next: Re: GZG FT: Real world standards.