Prev: Re: Infantry Walkers Next: Re: GZG FT: Real world standards.

Re: Anti-armor mines!

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 22:54:12 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Anti-armor mines!

You wrote:

You started it--now I get to pontificate!

>I'd imagine anti-armour mines would be more of a problem for walkers
than >tanks. In fact, I think they'd be problematic for Power Armour,
too. I'd >imagine you could build plastic explosive based pressure
mines that are >triggered by walker and PA ground pressure. (This
brings up the point that >mine detectors might have to be chemical
sniffers as opposed to metal >detectors.)

We'd be seeing the development of an intermediate class of mines.  Real
anti-tank mines will have to be directed energy to deal with Grav, GEV,
and simply real tough undersides.  A simple blast mine has a hard time
doing anything more than popping tracks nowdays (unless some dumbass
drives over it in a BRDM, in which case he deserves to cook).  These
will be, with proper materials (and I am no expert on this, but some of
ya'll seem to be), non-metallic.  Already we are at the point where
only two items need to be metallic--the firing pin and plate.  The
plate is real cooker--the explosive just sets the plate in motion and
it slams through the floor of the tank, ruining the day of anyone
inside.  I'm willing to be a non-ferrous substitute could be found,
maybe even a ceramic?  A lot of AT mines do without it, but they can't
K-Kill tanks, just M-Kill.  Firing pin is no sweat to make
non-metallic, again, a good ceramic.  The problem, as I see it, comes
if you want to include neato sensors or IFF in it.  Then we'd need
non-metallic electronic components, including radio antennas.  I am not
qualified to have an opinion on the feasability of this in the future.
I can say that mines such as the TC-6 series (Italian, liscence built
by Egypt) have 2.86g of metal in the 6kg mine, the steel striker tip.
If the sensitivity on your metal detector is low enough to detect, the
background noise is going to set it off nearly constantly.  But it
becomes much easier with their electronics package allowing remote
activation/deactivation.

This is why, in me house rules, I'm deliberately pointing out that
these are NOT metal detectors, but Ground Peneterating Radars, IRs,
chemical sniffers, and God Alone knows what else..

True AP will either be area effect (M-16&-18 series) or derivations of
the 'Toe Popper' M-14.	To have the ooph to effect PA, Walkers, and
other light armored vehicles will be beyond the toe poppers, but the
area effect ones might do so at close range.  You could also have a
straight "Heavy AP" or "Light AT" blast mine mixed in with your AP and
AT mines.  My bet is that they would be called Light AT in keeping with
the current political idiodicy associated with "Anti-Personell Mines".

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: Infantry Walkers Next: Re: GZG FT: Real world standards.